Port congestion eased significantly after Manila truck ban lifted – Palace exec

Port congestion eased significantly after Manila truck ban lifted – Palace exec

Finally our containers are now arriving on a regular basis and we hope that all will be better before the year ends.

—————-
Port congestion eased significantly after Manila truck ban lifted – Palace exec

By ANDREO CALONZO, GMA NewsOctober 1, 2014 9:18pm
Congestion at the Port of Manila eased significantly after the city government lifted the truck ban, a Palace official said Wednesday.
At a press briefing, Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras showed graphs showing the number of cargoes being pulled out of the Port of Manila shooting up during the weekdays after the truck ban was lifted.

 

“When the truck ban was declared the situation was difficult. When we opened the 24-hour truck lanes, it actually improved. When the truck ban was lifted, it had significant improvement,” Almendras told reporters on Wednesay afternoon.
Last September 13, the Manila local government led by Estrada issued an order lifting a truck ban in the city, which was put in place last February to address traffic woes.
President Benigno Aquino III had earlier blamed the Manila truck ban for port congestion, which led to monster traffic jams last month and caused the government to incur billions in economic losses.
Below 100 percent
Almendras further said that the government managed to lower the utilization rate of the Port of Manila below 100 percent during the past two weeks, meaning some space were freed up for more arriving cargoes.
“We have successfully addressed the congestion since it’s below 100, technically, you can say it’s not congested, although the ideal level is still in the lower 80s. We hope to reach that level in about a month’s time,” Almendras said.
The government is likewise preparing for the influx of cargoes this month and on November, he added.
The Cabinet Secretary further said that more importers and brokers are now tapping the Batangas and Subic ports as alternative piers for their cargoes.
Container yards have likewise been opened in Plaridel, Bulacan and Cabuyao, Laguna to accommodate empty containers.
Port decongestion
Last month, the government stepped up efforts to address the Manila Port congestion, including the shipping out of overstaying cargoes.
Aquino earlier signed an executive order declaring the Batangas and Subic ports as extension of the Port of Manila, to encourage the use of these alternate piers in case of congestion.
A Cabinet cluster has also passed a resolution allowing some truckers to have all-day access to Manila ports.
The government has also significantly raised fines imposed on overstaying cargo to discourage importers and brokers from leaving their container vans at the Manila Port.
The government has lost up to 70 billion due to the port congestion, according to National Economic and Development Authority. — BM, GMA News
original news article could be found here -> http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/381744/economy/business/port-congestion-eased-significantly-after-manila-truck-ban-lifted-palace-exec

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

9 − five =